Dr. James Bortolotto, DC
"Chiropractic Rehabilitation and Sports Specialist"
Dr. James Bortolotto is one of two Chiropractic Rehabilitation Specialists registered by the CCA located in Edmonton. I have 13 years experience working on site at the WCB rehab center in Edmonton, four years experience working in a multi-disciplinary chronic pain clinic. Past President ( 1990-92 ) of the College of Chiropractors of Alberta.
Dr. James D Bortolotto
11737 83rd St.
Report an issue with this profile
Areas of Focus
Preferred ChiropractorAuthorized by Chiropractors.ca
- The activator is a small, spring-loaded device which your chiropractor may use to assist him/her in performing adjustments. The activator helps your chiropractor to perform very specific adjustments with minimal force. While not all chiropractors use an activator device, it is one of the most used tools for assisting effective adjustment in the chiropractic profession.
- Ergonomics is the science of fitting a job or task to the individual rather than expecting the individual to conform to whatever the task may demand. In an office setting this can be seen as adjusting the heights and angles of chairs, electronic devices and other reading and writing materials. Healthy ergonomics goes a long way to prevent work-related repetitive stress injuries and ideally would be applied to workplaces in every field to optimize injury prevention.
- Joint Mobilization
- Joint mobilization is a manual therapy which involves creating passive movement in a specific joint without the patient’s assistance. Your chiropractor may isolate your affected joint and move it through a specific range of motion in order to loosen any restrictions on it and to increase blood flow to the joint. These movements are typically gentle but can have a profound effect on the joint.
- Kinesiology taping
- Kinesiology taping is a rehabilitative treatment technique which involves the application of a supportive but flexible tape in order to stimulate the somatosensory system and encourage healing. Kinesiology taping acts to lift the skin and create space for the muscle, fascia, ligaments and tendons to receive the circulation which they require to repair and heal.
- Manual Adjustment/Manipulation
- Chiropractors perform joint adjustments, also known as manipulations, in order to realign vertebrae and most other bones in the body. Chiropractors are experts in assessing and treating musculoskeletal conditions and the adjustment is one of their main tools for accurately correcting bony or joint misalignment. A chiropractic adjustment consists of a high velocity, low amplitude thrust which gently corrects the misalignment of the joint.
- Nutritional Counselling
- Proper nutrition is an essential component of complete health and for this reason your chiropractor may ask you to modify aspects of your diet. If your chiropractor concludes that your diet is not in balance they may make recommendations regarding avoiding certain foods and eating more of other specific foods in order to optimize your nutrition.
- Nutritional Supplements
- Based on their assessment of your overall health, your chiropractor may determine that you could be helped by taking a specific nutritional supplement. This supplement may be a vitamin, mineral, medical food, herb or even a combination of these ingredients. Your chiropractor will want to know which medications you are taking in order to avoid any possible interactions.
- Orthotics is a discipline of medicine which focuses on designing and prescribing a medical device which is used to improve a person’s posture and movement. The most common form of orthotics used by chiropractors is in the form of custom shoe inserts (or custom shoes) which are designed based on patient’s individual bio-mechanics. These orthotics help to correct gait imbalances and improve overall body ergonomics.
- Rehabilitative Exercise
- While many treatments exist for painful conditions, few are as pivotal to a person’s recovery as rehabilitative exercise. While your chiropractor will provide you with necessary treatments in their office, they will also likely recommend specific exercises aimed at aiding recovery and preventing reoccurrence. These exercises aim to strengthen the affected area, as well as strengthening supporting musculature, in order to optimize your recovery.
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Chiropractors have extensive training in soft tissue manipulation and mobilization. Your chiropractor will likely perform some soft tissue work on you if you are suffering with a painful condition or joint restriction.
- Traction is a treatment which involves gentle manual tension of a specific joint in order to temporarily create space in the joint. This tension relaxes the joint if it is overly rigid and will have the added benefit of easing the surrounding musculature and increasing blood flow to the region.
- Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS)
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) is a treatment which uses a low intensity electrical impulse in order to stimulate a certain nerve or group of nerves. The stimulation which TENS provides is an effective means of loosening tight muscles, increasing blood flow to an area and encouraging healthy lymphatic flow. Your chiropractor may use TENS to treat a broad range of conditions as it is a versatile treatment which can help many painful conditions.
- Although ultrasound is used as an imaging tool to visualize tissues within the body, it is also used for many other medical applications, including treating painful conditions. Ultrasound may be used by your chiropractor to speed recovery of an injury such as tennis elbow or plantar fasciitis, among many others. The result of ultrasound therapy is increased blood flow and reduced restrictions at the site of treatment, leading to improved recovery time.
- X-Ray Services
- Your chiropractor may utilize x-ray imaging in order to fully assess the health and alignment of your joints. With an x-ray image your chiropractor can gain further insight into which joints in your body are in proper alignment and which are aligned improperly.